We've now got the new site designs turned into browsable demo pages - though not plugged into the real site database yet! They're just sample pages that show what the site will feel like so people can give feedback.
You can see the demo pages at:
Please browse around, try it on different devices (it's designed to adjust well to mobile) and let us know your thoughts.
The key changes from the live site to the new design are:
- The design is modernised, and the site is now mobile-friendly automatically.
- We've got rid of issues vs threads - instead, each discussion is a standalone discussion, linked using tags.
- The main Discuss page is a combination of the old My Cyclescape and various other listings - by default, it shows you all discussions in your group, but if you find there are too many discussions, you can use the map filtering on the right which will let you change from everything in the group's area, to any areas you define.
- The discussion page works much more like modern social media sites - you will see the latest unread discussions, and you'll be able to scroll up to see earlier discussion. No more long scrolling down the page to see things!
- The signup process is much simpler. No need to define map areas either! We want to remove barriers to getting new people involved, a key problem on the current site.
- There's a new Add a new idea section which will allow general members of the public to submit ideas that campaigner members can 'cherry-pick' off the map. This probably won't make the initial launch.
Bear in mind the following points when looking around the sample pages:
- It's not a real live website - the pages won't actually submit any information, show real discussions or let you log in.
- There's a single page to represent all the parts of the site, but each just has sample info, e.g. the profile page gives an idea of what a person's profile is like.
- There are a few inconsistencies, e.g. some parts say York vs Camden for the campaign group. Don't worry about that kind of thing. (We used a range of labels to ensure that text will fit properly.)
- Pretty-much all functionality has been carried over. Nothing significant (e.g. e-mail integration) has been removed.
- The map displays don't currently show clickable pins in this demo.
To give us feedback, please use the live site's feedback page. (The demo one in the new design obviously won't work!)
Thanks to Patrick for his hard work on the design and the HTMLification.